By Natalie Mehl
Sometimes it takes a visitor to our town to point out the things that we take for granted. Bedford BID recently received an email from German ex-pat Natalie Mehl who had come up with 10 reasons to love Bedford. How many of Natalie’s top 10 do you agree with? We love all of them!
Before arriving in Bedford in September 2012, I had heard this town was ugly and unattractive. Nonsense! Now, that I have lived here for almost six months I have come to my own conclusion that Bedford is charming, cosmopolitan and full of surprises. I love it dearly and here are my reasons:
1. It is the perfect size. Every day I meet new people but, in contrast to a big city, I see them again.
2. It has unique and very different coffee shops and international restaurants. Not like other towns where every venue is a chain.
3. I love Bedford for its passion for fresh food and markets.
4. I love The Bedford Corn Exchange for its beautiful building and highly varied programme.
5. Wow… Bedford’s embankment! I cannot wait to have a picnic on the riverside in summer.
6. Rose-tinted Vintage, The Kiln and Brooks make it worth spending the whole day in the
7. Two beautiful old churches, The (soon to re-open) Higgins Art Gallery and The John Bunyan Museum enrich the town with culture.
8. I love the Bedfordshire Symphony Orchestra and Bedford Choral Society. Beautiful
music! Simply beautiful.
9. I have never been disappointed in The Place Theatre. Very innovative and highly
10. Bedford’s geographical location is amazing! London, Milton Keynes, Cambridge and Oxford – all within easy reach.
Nevertheless, what really makes this town’s heart beat are its inhabitants. In my experience, people from Bedford are welcoming, vibrant, open-minded and they make me happy – every day.
Well, we couldn’t agree more.